Roasted Brussels Sprouts Skewers with Lemon-Thyme Dipping Sauce
Serves 8 (Makes 16 skewers)
Roasting Brussels sprouts
produces a tender, juicy interior encapsulated by a crispy, caramelized exterior. Hemp oil lends a nutritious element to the light sauce, but you could substitute olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. hemp oil
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, whole (if small and tender), or finely chopped
- 32 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (about 2 lb.)
- 2 Tbs. safflower oil, or other high-heat oil
1. Preheat oven to 500°F. Whisk together lemon juice, maple syrup, hemp oil, and thyme in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Toss Brussels sprouts with safflower oil on large, rimmed baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add 1 Tbs. water to pan, and arrange Brussels sprouts cut side down. Cover tightly with foil. Roast 10 minutes, remove foil, then roast 10 to 15 minutes more, or until Brussels sprouts are heavily browned. Toss with 2 Tbs. dipping sauce, and let rest until cool enough to handle but still warm.
3. Thread 4 Brussels sprout halves onto each skewer, and arrange on platter. Serve warm, with remaining dipping sauce on side.
November 2013 p.36