Roasted Corn Pancakes with Harissa Aïoli
Jonathan Kurlander, of Minnetonka, Minn., loves coming up with healthful veg dishes his two young sons will eat: “They seem to be accepting of most things ‘pancake,’ so I expand on that theme,” he says. Harissa, a North African chile paste, adds just a hint of smoky heat.
1. Coat skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Add corn, and cook 10 minutes, or until light brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Stir in corn.
3. Combine egg yolks and soymilk in separate bowl, then add to cornmeal mixture.
4. Whip egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form, then fold into batter.
5. Coat skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Drop in 2 Tbs. batter per pancake. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is covered with bubbles. Flip, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until pancakes are browned on both sides.
6. Combine Vegenaise and harissa in small bowl, and serve with pancakes.