Roasted Corn Pancakes with Harissa Aïoli
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1¼ cups soymilk
- 3 Tbs. Vegenaise
- 1 Tbs. harissa paste or chile-garlic sauce
1. Coat skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Add corn, and cook 10 minutes, or until light brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Stir in corn.
3. Combine egg yolks and soymilk in separate bowl, then add to cornmeal mixture.
4. Whip egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form, then fold into batter.
5. Coat skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Drop in 2 Tbs. batter per pancake. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until top is covered with bubbles. Flip, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until pancakes are browned on both sides.
6. Combine Vegenaise and harissa in small bowl, and serve with pancakes.April/May 2014 p.10