Roasted Eggplant Dip
MAKES 2 1/2 cups
This complements any Middle Eastern appetizer or main course. As an alternate to pita, try Middle Eastern lavosh bread.
- 2 large eggplants (about 1½ lbs.)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp. hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream or plain nonfat yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prick eggplants and bell peppers several times with fork and rub with olive oil. Roast on baking tray for 30 to 45 minutes, or until soft.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and chop eggplants and seed and core bell peppers. Combine in blender with fresh coriander, lime juice and salt and pulse for 30 to 45 seconds, keeping mixture coarse-textured.
- Place in bowl and add hot pepper sauce and sour cream. Mix, adjust seasonings and chill for 1 hour before serving with toasted pita wedges.
Try wines from the Sancerre region of the Loire Valley, France, especially the Pouilly-Fumé “L’Arrêt Buffate” made by F. Tinel-Blondelet.