Roasted Eggplant with Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, and Herbs
This is a good recipe for showing off the curvaceous shapes of white or Thai eggplants. Globe or Asian eggplants will also work.
- 1 ½ lb. eggplants, halved, quartered, or cut into large cubes (8 cups)
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 yellow, orange, or red bell peppers, cut into ½-inch-wide strips (3 cups)
- 2 Anaheim chiles, cut into ¼-inch-wide strips (1 ½ cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbs. chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Toss together eggplants, onion, bell peppers, chiles, and oil in roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and roast 35 minutes. Stir in garlic, and roast 5 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes, and roast 15 to 20 minutes more, stirring every 10 minutes, or until eggplants are very tender. Stir in parsley, thyme, and tarragon.
July/August 2013 p.76