Roasted Potato Fans
- 4 medium-sized red or white thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed (about 1 ½ lb.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. sweet paprika, preferably smoked
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Working with 1 potato at a time, cut thin lengthwise sliver off one side so potato lies flat on cutting board. Place two chopsticks (or two wooden spoon handles) parallel to each other on cutting board, and place potato lengthwise between them. Holding chopsticks against potato, make crosswise cuts through potato, 1/8 inch apart, down to chopsticks (they prevent slicing all the way through potato).
2. Place potatoes on baking sheet. Pry slices open gently with your fingers, and brush a little oil between each slice.
3. Mix salt and paprika in small cup. Sprinkle potatoes with mixture, pushing slices gently apart to season between slices.
4. Bake about 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender and crisp. Serve hot, topped with Portobello-Seitan Hash.February 2006