Roasted Vegetables with Green Olive Vinaigrette and Pistachio Couscous
30 minutes or fewer
Harissa and tabil, the two cornerstone seasonings of Tunisian cooking, spice up a colorful entrée of roasted vegetables and pistachio-laced couscous. (To mix up your own tabil, go to http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/tabil/) Feel free to substitute other seasonal vegetables (e.g., cauliflower, winter squash, and even root vegetables such as turnips, parsnips, or celery root) for the zucchini throughout the year.
- 1 ½ lb. zucchini, ends trimmed, quartered lengthwise
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large red onion, sliced into rings
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp. harissa
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- ½ cup pitted green olives
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
- 1 Tbs. chopped shallot
- ½ tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbs. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. tabil spice blend
- 2 cups couscous
- ½ cup coarsely chopped roasted pistachios
1. To make Vegetables: Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss zucchini, bell peppers, onion, and oil in large bowl. Transfer to baking sheet, spread in single layer, and roast 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are browned and tender, turning occasionally. Transfer to bowl, and toss with vinegar, mint, harissa, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Meanwhile, to make Vinaigrette: Place all ingredients in blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. To make Couscous: Bring broth and tabil to a boil in large saucepan. Stir in couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 5 to 8 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork, and fold in pistachios. Serve Vegetables over Couscous, with Vinaigrette on the side.
June 2013 p.43