30 minutes or fewer
This traditional Indian
dish of spinach cooked with Indian spices, yogurt, and cheese is filling enough for a main course. Look for paneer, a fresh Indian cheese, in Indian grocery stores, or substitute fresh mozzarella. A wok makes light work of steaming down a big bunch of spinach. Serve with rice and warm naan (Indian flat bread).
- 2 Tbs. ghee or olive oil
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. ground coriander
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 small hot chile, seeded and minced
- 1 oz. fresh ginger, peeled and minced (2 Tbs.)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 lb. baby spinach
- 8 oz. thick plain yogurt, drained
- 8 oz. paneer cheese or fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes
1. Heat ghee over medium heat in wok. Add cumin and coriander, and stir until spices sizzle. Add onion, and sauté 2 minutes, or until translucent. Add chile, ginger, and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes more.
2. Add spinach, season with salt, cover wok with lid, and steam spinach 2 to 3 minutes. Remove lid, and continue stirring spinach until wilted. Pour off liquid accumulated in bottom of wok.
3. Stir in yogurt, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Remove from heat, and fold in cheese.