In this twist on the Kentucky classic, sage stands in for mint, and Meyer lemons
are added for a unique winter cocktail.
- 36 fresh sage leaves, 30 torn in half (½ cup), 6 left whole for garnish
- 5 Meyer lemons or regular lemons, 3 quartered, 2 sliced for garnish
- 6 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 12 oz. bourbon or unsweetened iced tea
- 6 oz. seltzer water (¾ cup)
1. Chill 6 tumblers in freezer.
2. Make each drink individually by placing 10 sage leaf halves, 2 lemon quarters, and 1 Tbs. brown sugar in shaker. Mash together with muddler or back of spoon
30 seconds, or until aromatic.
3. Add 4 ice cubes, and top with 2 oz. bourbon and
1 oz. seltzer. Shake well.
4. Fill chilled tumbler with crushed ice. Strain julep mixture from shaker over ice, and garnish with Meyer lemon slice and sage leaf.
December 2013 p.40