Samosa Stuffed Peppers
The filling for these stuffed peppers tastes a lot like samosas, small Indian turnovers. STORE/SERVE: If making ahead, skip final baking step. Cool stuffed peppers, cover tightly with foil, and refrigerate up to three days or freeze up to three months. Thaw, if necessary, then cover with foil, and finish baking as in step 3.
- 4 large red bell peppers, halved
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 4 tsp. curry powder
- 1 Tbs. garam masala
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup basmati rice
- ¼ cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large carrots, finely diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup green beans, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup raisins or dried currants, optional
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts or cashews, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place halved bell peppers cut side down in two large baking dishes. Cover with foil, and bake 25 minutes, or until peppers begin to soften.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes. Add curry powder, garam masala, and ginger, and cook 1 minute. Stir in rice, lentils, salt, and 4 cups water. Add chickpeas, carrots, green beans, and raisins (if using). Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring once or twice. Remove rice mixture from heat, stir in peanuts, and season with salt, if desired.
3. Flip bell pepper halves. Fill each with 3/4 cup rice mixture. Re-cover baking dishes, and bake 15 minutes. Uncover, and bake 5 to 10 minutes more.
March 2014 p.71