Sautéed Brussels Sprouts Leaves over Quinoa
30 minutes or fewer
Separating Brussels sprouts
leaves from the heads, then lightly sautéing the leaves in a little oil eliminates any risk of overcooking the sprouts.
- 2 Tbs. blanched hazelnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 8 oz. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 3 Tbs. crumbled feta cheese, optional
- 2 tsp. grated fresh lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast hazelnuts 5 to 6 minutes, or until light brown, shaking pan occasionally. Set aside.
February 2010 p.30
2. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa and salt, if desired; cover; and cook 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, peel leaves off Brussels sprouts halves, and discard inner core.
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté Brussels sprouts leaves 5 minutes. Add 3 Tbs. water, cover, and cook 1 minute more, or until leaves are tender. Stir in garlic. Toss with quinoa; hazelnuts; feta, if using; and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.