Savory Kasha Pilaf
As colorful as it is tasty, kasha pilaf can be served as either an entrée or side dish
- 1 ½ tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- ⅔ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 ½ cups sliced baby carrots
- 1 ½ cups medium-grain kasha
- 2 Tbs. powdered egg replacer
- ½ cup cold water
- 4 cups boiling vegetable stock
- Heat oil in electric skillet or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, scallions, bell pepper and carrots.
- Place kasha in bowl. Combine egg replacer powder and water in liquid measuring cup, and pour over kasha, mixing thoroughly. Combine kasha mixture with vegetables, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add hot stock, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
PER SERVING: 64 CAL; 2G PROT; 2G TOTAL FAT (0G SAT. FAT); 13G CARB; 0MG CHOL; 40MG SOD; 2G FIBER; 3G SUGARS