Seared Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds
30 minutes or fewer
Break the just-for-the-holidays Brussels sprouts
habit with this no-fuss side dish that tastes good year-round.
- 2 Tbs. garlic-flavored olive oil, divided
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup unsalted dry roasted slivered almonds
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (1 lb.)
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in 9-inch skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs, and toast 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring often. Transfer to bowl; stir in almonds and lemon zest.
2. Wipe out skillet, add remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and heat over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts cut side down, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until Brussels sprouts are light brown on cut side. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and cook 3 minutes more, or until Brussels sprouts are dark brown and beginning to smell toasty. Sprinkle with lemon juice, season with salt and pepper (if desired), and transfer to serving bowl. Top with breadcrumbs, and serve immediately.
December 2012 p.49