Seitan Roulade with Chestnut-Champignon Stuffing
This hearty roast showcases two of France’s most treasured autumn treats: chestnuts and mushrooms. The outside of the roulade is made with a soft seitan dough, which is spread on cheesecloth, rolled like a jelly roll, and simmered in broth before it’s filled with Chestnut-Champignon Stuffing. It’s a stunning addition to a holiday table.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 9 ½ cups no-chicken broth or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 Tbs. apricot jam
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups cubed baguette or French bread (⅓-inch cubes)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 large shallots, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 cups chanterelle, oyster, or crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 1 cup cooked chestnuts, quartered
- 1 cup no-chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup dry white or red wine
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. To make Roulade: Preheat oven to 350˚F. Soak 18-inch square cheesecloth in water 5 minutes.
2. Whisk together vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, herbes de Provence, salt, and red pepper flakes in large bowl. Stir in 1 1/2 cups broth with fork until loose dough forms.
3. Remove cheesecloth from soaking water, squeeze moisture out, and spread on work surface. Spread seitan in 13-x 9-inch rectangle on cheesecloth with fingers.
4. Bring remaining 8 cups broth to a simmer in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Fold cheesecloth over seitan rectangle lengthwise. Fold over short edges, and roll both seitan and cheesecloth from short end into 9-inch long cylinder. Tie each end with kitchen twine or cheesecloth strip, and slide roulade into broth. Simmer 45 minutes. Remove from broth, and cool. Reserve broth for another use.
5. To make Stuffing: Spread bread cubes on baking sheet, and toast in oven 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp. Transfer to large bowl. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, mushrooms, celery, and carrots; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic and herbes de Provence, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes more. Add chestnuts and cook 2 minutes more. Add broth and wine, and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in toasted bread cubes and parsley, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
6. Unroll Roulade, and spread with 1-inch thick layer of Stuffing, re-roll, and secure with cheesecloth ties. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
7. Whisk together jam, soy sauce, and 2 Tbs. water in small bowl. Brush over roulade, and bake 20 minutes, or until glaze is shiny and golden. To serve: slice into 1 1/2-inch-wide spirals.