Semisweet Chocolate and Peanut Bars
Makes 35 miniature bars
Talk about cookies that raise the bar! Buttery pastry, dark chocolate, and peanuts make for a luscious, creamy-crunchy-nutty experience.
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup peanut butter chips
- 1¼ cups condensed milk
- 1 cup salted, roasted peanuts, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 11- x 7-inch baking pan with cooking spray, and line with parchment paper or foil. Coat again with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, and baking powder in bowl. Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Press crust into bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
3. Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and condensed milk in bowl set over simmering water. Whisk until thick and smooth. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over crust with spatula. Press peanuts firmly into top of chocolate mixture. Cool to room temperature, then chill until firm. Cut into 35 bars.
February 2009 p.77