When we were children, we adored zeen doy. They are eaten on special occasions like New Year's and birthdays. The dough is fried until golden brown so it's both crisp and chewy from the glutinous rice flour. The Chinese believe that just as the dough expands when fried, so will your fortunes if you eat sesame balls.
- 2 ½ slabs brown candy (peen tong), chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups glutinous rice flour
- ½ cup sweetened red bean paste
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds (1 ¾ oz.)
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for deep-frying