Sesame-Crusted Tofu with Lemongrass-Orange Reduction
Serve these crispy cutlets with steamed greens. The bright citrus sauce also works as a tasty topping for roasted squash.
- 1 16-oz pkg. firm tofu, drained
- 6 Tbs. hulled sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh lemongrass
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ½ Tbs. reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 orange, supremed, for garnish (optional)
1. To make Cutlets: Press tofu between 2 cutting boards; tip boards over sink edge 30 minutes. Halve tofu crosswise into 2 slabs, then slice slabs into 2 cutlets.
2. To make Reduction: Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, and pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Whisk in juice, broth, and tamari. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
3. Spread sesame seeds on plate. Dredge Cutlets in sesame seeds.
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat; add Cutlets. Cook 10 minutes, or until golden brown, turning once. Serve each cutlet with 3 orange slices (if using) and 3 Tbs. Reduction.
October 2012 p.46