Sesame Miso-Glazed Eggplant
Japanese eggplants are quick-roasted in the oven, then brushed with a sweet miso sauce for an extremely tender and satisfying entrée.
- 4 Tbs. red miso paste
- 4 Tbs. sweet white wine, such as muscatel
- 2 Tbs. coconut sugar or sugar
- 2 Tbs. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 8 Japanese eggplants
- 2 Tbs. sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. tahini paste
- 2 Tbs. black sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced on diagonal
1. Whisk together miso paste, wine, coconut sugar, and vinegar in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 2 minutes to thicken. Remove from heat until ready to use.
2. Position rack in center of oven, and preheat to 400°F. Slice eggplants in half lengthwise. Score crisscross pattern in cut sides of eggplants, brush with oil, sprinkle with salt, and roast cut side up on baking sheet 20 minutes. Turn cut side down, and roast 10 minutes more.
3. Place rack in uppermost position in oven, and adjust oven temperature to broil. Flip eggplants cut side up, and brush with miso mixture. Return pan to oven, and broil 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to platter, and garnish with tahini, sesame seeds, and green onions.