Makes 30 breadsticks
These pretty breadsticks may look complicated, but they’re not—twisting them is as easy as wringing a dishcloth, though it takes a lighter touch.
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 ½ Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (4 oz.)
- 1 ½ cups low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425F, and coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray.
2. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl. Rub butter into flour mixture with fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
3. Place dough on well-floured work surface. Roll into 15×15-inch square. Brush with water, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt, if desired. Cut square in half, then cut each half into 15 3/4-inch thick strips.
4. Twist each strip twice, set on baking sheet and gently press ends flat to prevent twists from unrolling. Bake 15 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.