Shaved Sunchokes with Pink Grapefruit and Avocado
30 minutes or fewer
Raw sunchokes have a texture like water chestnuts that works well in salads.
- 1 medium pink grapefruit
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 medium unpeeled sunchokes, scrubbed and shaved into paper-thin “petals” with mandoline or vegetable slicer
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
1. Trim both grapefruit ends to expose juicy flesh. Stand fruit upright, and remove peel and pith with paring knife, following curve of fruit from top to bottom. Hold fruit over bowl, and cut sections along membranes to release individual wedges.
2. Whisk together lemon juice, honey, oil, and coriander.
3. Divide grapefruit and avocado among 4 serving plates. Scatter with sunchoke petals, drizzle with dressing, and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
November 2013 p.64