Singapore-Style Rice Noodles
30 minutes or fewer
Like Singapore itself, this dish brings together flavors from many traditions.
- 1 8-oz. pkg. rice vermicelli
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. Chinese cooking wine or sherry
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. canola or peanut oil
- ½ lb. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (5 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- ½ onion, thinly sliced (½ cup)
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 4 green onions, chopped (½ cup)
1. Soak rice noodles in hot water 15 minutes, or until softened. Drain, and set aside.
2. Whisk together broth, soy sauce, wine, and brown sugar in bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat wok over high heat, until water droplets evaporate within 1 second. Add oil, and swirl to coat wok. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add cabbage, garlic, and curry powder, and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Add broth mixture, and toss with vegetables; add noodles, and toss to combine. Stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, or until noodles absorb some of sauce and soften. Remove from heat, and stir in green onions.
April/May 2012 p.28