Smoky Eggplant and Melon Wraps
Makes 24 wraps
30 minutes or fewer
Cured ham wrapped around chunks of melon is a tapas staple in Spain. Here grilled eggplant offers a smoky contrast to fresh cantaloupe.
- 1 medium eggplant (¾ lb.)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 lb. cantaloupe, peeled and cut into 24 1-inch chunks (from ½ large melon)
1. Quarter eggplant lengthwise, and slice into 24 long, very thin strips using mandoline or sharp vegetable peeler.
2. Whisk together oil, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, paprika, cumin, and salt in 9-inch square baking dish. Add eggplant strips, and let marinate 10 minutes.
3. Heat gas grill to high. Grill eggplant strips 2 minutes per side, or until strips are very tender and have pronounced grill marks.
4. Wrap 1 strip grilled eggplant around each melon chunk, and secure with toothpick.
June 2012 p.74