Smothered Cheese Grits and Steamed Greens
30 minutes or fewer
A bowl of grits and a mess of greens might not sound like dinner party fare, but served on a platter and smothered with caramelized onions
, this tasty combination looks downright fancy.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, halved
- and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned white hominy grits (not instant)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 1 lb. curly kale, tough stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces (14 cups)
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 oz. (½ cup) grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, plus more for sprinkling, optional Toasted sesame seeds, optional
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, cover, and cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until onions are softened and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, cook grits according to package directions. Stir in corn and milk, and return to a simmer, stirring constantly to incorporate milk. Keep warm.
3. Steam kale in basket steamer 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted but still bright green and crisp-tender. Transfer to bowl, and stir in vinegar and remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. To serve: Stir cheese into grits, and transfer to serving platter. Top with kale, then onions. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and grated cheese (if using).
January/February 2013 p.46