Snap Peas and Baby Carrots in Carrot “Butter”
30 minutes or fewer
To ensure that the "buttery" sauce in this dish doesn't get watered down, dry the vegetables well after steaming. A high-grade, unrefined corn oil is a worthy investment for this recipe as it gives the "butter" a rich flavor. This recipe is a fantastic side dish or works well tossed with pasta too!
- 2 tsp. corn oil or canola oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. carrot purée or baby food
- 8 oz. baby carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 3 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Whisk together broth and cornstarch in bowl. Add to onion, and bring to a simmer. Whisk in carrot purée, and season with salt and pepper. Heat sauce until just warm.
2. Steam carrots 1 minute in steamer basket. Add sugar snap peas, and steam 3 minutes more, or until both carrots and peas are crisp-tender. Transfer to clean kitchen towel, and blot extra moisture. Toss vegetables with sauce.