Southwestern Tofu Scramble
30 minutes or fewer
Ground turmeric gives this egg-free scramble a golden hue. Leftovers (if any) make a great sandwich filling.
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small carrot, diced (about ½ cup)
- 4 green onions, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 14-oz. pkg. medium tofu, drained and crumbled
- ½ tsp. hot sauce
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- salsa, for garnish
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Add bell pepper and carrot, and cook 7 minutes, or until just tender. Stir in green onions, garlic, cumin, and turmeric, and cook 1 minute more. Add tofu and hot sauce, and cook 5 minutes, or until heated through and all liquid has cooked off. Stir in cilantro, and serve with salsa.
May/June 2007 p.78