Spanish Wheat Berry Salad
Wheat berries, also called hard wheat berries, are wheat grains from which the inedible hull has been removed. Toasting the grains before cooking enhances their nutty, chewy quality. Serve this salad
warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
- 6 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups wheat berries, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- ¼ cup chopped toasted almonds
- ¼ cup chopped shallots
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup (1 oz.) shaved Manchego cheese or Pecorino Romano cheese, optional
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in 6-qt. pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add wheat berries, and sauté 5 minutes, or until toasted. Add 4 1/2 cups water. Lock lid in place. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Reduce heat, and cook 30 minutes. Release pressure using automatic pressure release, or carefully transfer cooker to sink, and run cool water over rim of lid. Remove lid, tilting away from you to let steam escape. Drain wheat berries.
2. Whisk together remaining 5 Tbs. oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and garlic in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add wheat berries, bell pepper, almonds, shallots, and parsley, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese, if using.