Speedy Spinach-Polenta "Pie"
No need to roll out a crust or even turn on the oven to make this comforting pie that’s held together with instant polenta. Serve sliced into wedges, or spoon the polenta mixture into ramekins to make individual tarts.
- Lightly coat bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Cook onions and fennel seeds 5 minutes, or until onions are lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add block of frozen spinach and 3 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook 3 minutes. Break up block of spinach with wooden spoon, and cook 3 minutes more.
- Stir in polenta with fork. Return to a boil. Add 1 cup water. Cover, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
- Fold in feta, walnuts, vinegar and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared pie plate, and smooth top with spatula. Cool 10 minutes, or until polenta has set. Slice into wedges, and serve warm.