Spiced Balsamic-Beet Compote
The rich, red hue of this compote mirrors the color of traditional cranberry sauce, but the subtle spiciness offers something savory and unexpected. Serve like cranberry sauce or as a bread topping for hors d’oeuvres.
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 large beets, peeled and finely diced (3 cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ tsp. garam masala or curry powder
- 2 shallots, halved and thinly sliced (½ cup)
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Cover raisins with boiling water, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, cook beets in large pot of boiling water 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garam masala, and cook 20 seconds, or until fragrant. Add shallots, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in beets, raisins, vinegar, sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until compote is thickened. Cool.
November 2011 p.62