Spiced Cranberry-Pear Cider
30 minutes or fewer
This winter warmer offers a tart alternative to hot apple cider. Crushing fresh ginger
slices helps release the root’s spicy-sweet flavor. Floating cubes of diced pear add a festive touch.
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 ¼-inch-thick slices ginger, crushed
- 1 3-inch-long cinnamon stick
- 2 cups pear juice or cider
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split
- 1 large pear, peeled, cored, and cut into small dice (1 ¼ cups), optional
1. Bring cranberries, ginger, cinnamon stick, and 31/2 cups water to a simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove ginger and cinnamon stick, and set aside. Strain cranberry mixture into another saucepan, pressing down on solids to extract all liquid. (You should have about 3 cups liquid.)
2. Return ginger and cinnamon stick to cranberry juice, and add pear juice, sugar, and vanilla bean. Bring to a simmer, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes, then remove ginger, cinnamon stick, and vanilla bean. Add diced pear (if using), and remove from heat. Serve warm.
November 2011 p.73