Spicy Asian Spinach Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
30 minutes or fewer
One serving of this crunchy salad
provides more than half the recommended DV of magnesium. To make it vegan, simply replace the eggs with
4 ounces of chopped baked tofu.
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup grated carrots
- ½ cup toasted unsalted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 2 green onions, chopped (¼ cup)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- ½ tsp. sriracha chile sauce
- ¼ tsp. grated fresh ginger
1. To make Salad: Coat small skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Pour eggs in skillet, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until firmly set. Transfer omelet to cutting board to cool.
2. Stack 5 or 6 spinach leaves, and roll stack lengthwise into tight cylinder. Cut crosswise in fine slices. Repeat with remaining spinach leaves. Transfer to large bowl, and set aside.
3. To make Dressing: Whisk together
all ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Chop omelet into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to spinach in bowl along with bean sprouts, carrots, pumpkin seeds, green onions, and mint leaves. Add Dressing, and toss to coat.
January/February 2011 p.70