Spicy Broccoli Raab and Gemelli
30 minutes or fewer
Sicilians’ taste for spicy sauces comes from Arab influences, notes Giorgio Locatelli, chef at Locanda Locatelli in London and author of Made in Sicily.
- 8 oz. gemelli pasta
- 1 small bunch broccoli raab, cut into 2-inch pieces (6 cups)
- 1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- ⅓ cup dried currants or golden raisins
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup shelled roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. Marsala wine, optional
1. Cook gemelli according to package directions until al dente.
2. Blanch broccoli raab in pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain.
3. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chickpeas and oil, and cook 2 minutes, or until chickpeas start to pop. Add currants, garlic, red pepper flakes, and broccoli raab; cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until broccoli raab is tender.
4. Drain gemelli, and transfer to serving bowl. Add broccoli raab mixture, pistachios, and Marsala wine (if using).
June 2012 p.30