Spicy Broccoli Sprout Sushi
Spicy sprouts, such as broccoli, arugula, or leek, give sushi rolls a delicate crunch and peppery flavor. A sushi mat makes it easy to wrap the nori and rice tightly around fillings, but it’s not necessary.
- 2 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
- ½ cup sushi rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 sheets nori (roasted seaweed)
- Hot sesame oil, for sprinkling, optional
- 4 slices avocado
- 4 slices red bell pepper
- 2 slices baked seasoned Asian-style tofu, each cut into 4 thin strips
- 2 Tbs. pickled ginger, drained
- ½ cup broccoli sprouts
- Soy sauce and wasabi for dipping
1. Place sushi rice and 1/2 cup water in small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and cool 20 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar.
2. Place 1 sheet nori on sushi mat or work surface. Spread half of warm rice over nori with back of spoon, leaving 1 1/2-inch edges on top and bottom to seal sushi, but spreading rice all the way to both sides. Sprinkle rice with hot sesame oil, if using.
3. Lay 2 avocado slices, 2 bell pepper slices, and 4 tofu strips in lines down center of rice. Top with 1 Tbs. pickled ginger and 1/4 cup broccoli sprouts. Brush edges of nori with water. Tightly roll nori around rice and filling, pressing bare edge at top to seal. Cut into 8 pieces with sharp knife. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi.