Spicy Gingerbread People
Makes 24 cookies
Fresh ginger gives these dark, molasses-laced cookies a spicy kick.
- 2 ½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 oz. Earth Balance margarine
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. egg replacer, such as Ener-G
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ tsp. arrowroot powder
1. To make Cookies: Whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream margarine, sugar, and vanilla with electric mixer 3 minutes, or until smooth.
3. Combine egg replacer and 2 Tbs. water in bowl, and add to sugar mixture. Add molasses, and beat until smooth. Beat in flour mixture until soft dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or coat with cooking spray.
5. Place dough between two sheets of parchment or wax paper, and roll out to 1/4-inch thick.
6. Cut with 3-inch gingerbread-man cutter, and transfer to prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges of Cookies begin to brown. Cool on baking sheets.
7. To make Frosting: Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, arrowroot, and 2 Tbs. water in small bowl. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with small round tip, and decorate Cookies with Frosting. Allow to set 30 minutes, then transfer to airtight container.
December 2012 p.57