Spicy Pineapple and Cucumber Agua Fresca
30 minutes or fewer
Inspired by the cucumber water served in spas, this agua fresca is mildly sweet with a hint of chile heat. Frozen pineapple cubes can replace ice cubes to chill the cocktails. For a virgin variation, replace the alcohol with water until you’re satisfied with the sweetness level.
- 1 small English cucumber
- ½ Serrano chile, seeds and veins removed
- 2 ½ cups pineapple juice
- 7 Tbs. light agave nectar
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup vodka or tequila (8 oz.)
- Frozen pineapple cubes, optional
1. Purée cucumber and chile in blender until smooth. Pour mixture through fine strainer, pressing down on solids to extract all liquid. (You should have about 1 cup cucumber juice.)
2. Pour cucumber juice into large pitcher, and stir in pineapple juice, agave nectar, lime juice, and cayenne pepper.
3. To serve: Pour 2 oz. vodka over ice or frozen pineapple cubes, if using, in tall glass. Top with 1 cup pineapple mixture.
July/August 2011 p.48