Spicy Sloppy Joes
30 minutes or fewer
Ale adds a subtle richness to this updated version of the classic chili hash. Mound the Sloppy Joe filling on soft sandwich rolls (try our Wheat Beer and Potato Rolls
) and top with sliced avocados and shredded lettuce. This recipe easily doubles for a party.
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ lb. soy crumbles
- 3 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 ¼ cups pale ale or brown ale, room temperature
- ¾ cup low-sodium bottled chili sauce
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
1. Warm oil in large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and green pepper, and sauté, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
2. Stir in soy crumbles and chili powder. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add jalapeños, ale, chili sauce, and soy sauce; mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, about 15 minutes, until thickened.
4. Mix in green onions; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
March 2006 p.85