Spicy Spinach Frittata
30 minutes or fewer
After mixing, this spicy frittata will look like egg-coated spinach, but it will set in the oven.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 oz. baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup prepared spicy salsa
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, optional
- ½ avocado, sliced, optional
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Brush oil over bottom and sides of ovenproof skillet, and heat over medium heat.
Add onion, cumin, coriander, and salt; sauté 5 minutes.
2. Whisk together eggs and egg whites in bowl. Stir in spinach. Stir egg mixture into onions, then loosen edges with spatula. Transfer pan to oven, and bake 5 minutes. Scatter cheese over top; cool 10 minutes before cutting into 4 wedges. Garnish each serving with 1/4 cup salsa, 2 Tbs. Greek yogurt, 2 slices avocado, and 1 Tbs. cilantro (if using).
March 2012 p.36