Spinach and Goat Cheese Baked Omelet Sandwiches
30 minutes or fewer
If you are in an egg salad rut, here’s a new taste for a new season. Savory bits of leeks, peas, and spinach remind us that spring is just around the corner.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium leek, thinly sliced
- 3 packed cups baby spinach leaves (3 oz.)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbs. low-fat milk
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 4 Tbs. crumbled goat cheese (2 oz.)
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley, optional
- 4 slices multigrain bread
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat oil in small ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leek, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in 3/4 cup spinach, and cook 30 seconds, or until wilted. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk together eggs and milk in bowl. Stir in peas, goat cheese, and parsley (if using). Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add egg mixture to spinach in skillet, and stir to combine.
4. Transfer skillet to oven, and bake omelet 15 minutes, or until eggs are set. Cool to room temperature, and transfer to cutting board. Slice into sandwich-size strips.
5. Arrange omelet slices atop 2 pieces of bread. Top with remaining spinach and bread slices. Halve sandwiches, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
March 2014 p.60