Spinach, Blood Orange and Macadamia Nut Salad
Here's a Florida remake of a classic spinach salad. Blood oranges look like juice oranges only smaller. Many have darkish red patches on the outside. If blood oranges are unavailable, this salad can be prepared with regular oranges. For best results, use fresh baby spinach instead of cellophane-packed, and, if possible, grill or roast the corn.
1. In small dry skillet, toast macadamia nuts over medium heat until light golden brown and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Peel and section oranges over small bowl to catch juice. Cut segments into 1/2-inch dice. Reserve juice for dressing.
3. In large bowl, combine toasted nuts, oranges, spinach and corn.
4. Make dressing: In small bowl, combine garlic, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. With fork, mash to smooth paste. Add vinegar and whisk until smooth. Whisk in oil in thin stream until dressing has thickened. Whisk in reserved orange juice. Correct seasonings, adding salt or orange juice to taste.
5. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss until spinach is lightly coated.