Spring Pea Tarts
You don’t even need a pie pan to make the crust for these tarts—the puff pastry edges rise to create sides.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Open puff pastry sheet, and cut along one fold line to remove 1/3 puff pastry sheet. Cut trimmed rectangle lengthwise into 8 strips. Divide remaining 2/3 piece of puff pastry into 4 squares, and set on prepared baking sheet.
2. Brush squares with egg. Place strips around sides to make crust, trimming to fit. Brush strips with egg, then score with diagonal slashes. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
3. Bring pot of water to a boil. Add 1 cup peas, and cook 3 minutes. Remove peas with slotted spoon. Rinse under cold water, drain, and set aside. Return water to a boil. Add remaining 2 cups peas and spinach. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water.
4. Purée pea-spinach mixture in food processor until smooth. Add Neufchâtel cheese, Parmesan cheese and lemon juice, and purée until smooth. Fold in green onions and mint, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cut out center "top" of tart shells and soft pastry underneath with knife, and discard. Spread pea-spinach mixture in shells. Top with reserved peas. Chill for 2 hours. Cut each square into 2 triangles, and garnish with mint sprigs.