Steamed Artichokes with Celery Salsa Verde
At Ubuntu Restaurant and Yoga Sudio in Napa, Calif., one of chef Jeremy Fox's favorite challenges as a classically trained chef is coming up with recipes that steer clear of dairy and eggs so that 80 percent of the menu is vegan-friendly. Here, a light salsa replaces the mayonnaise or drawn butter usually served with steamed artichokes.
Celery Salsa Verde
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 medium artichokes, trimmed
- 4 stalks celery
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. chopped yellow celery leaves
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
- 1 Tbs. chopped capers
- 1 Tbs. minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
1. To make Steamed Artichokes: Bring large pot of water and lemon juice to a boil. Add artichokes, and boil 30 to 40 minutes, or until an outer leaf pulls away easily. Drain, and cool 10 minutes.
2. To make Celery Salsa Verde: Peel outer layers of each celery stalk with vegetable peeler to remove strings, then dice stalks. Combine oil, diced celery, celery leaves, parsley, capers, shallot, and garlic in bowl.
3. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with artichokes.
April 2009 p.64