Steamed Vegetable Medley
As this colorful main dish cooks, the flavored broth used as a steaming liquid reduces to a savory sauce.
1. Heat 1 Tbs. butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Add wine, garlic, and red pepper flakes, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated. Add broth, and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Place steamer in saucepan over broth, and add potatoes, leek, and fennel. Cover, increase heat to medium-high, and steam 3 minutes.
3. Add squash, cauliflower, and mushrooms; cover, and steam 13 minutes. Add broccoli, cover, and steam 2 minutes.
4. Transfer vegetables to bowl, and partially cover to keep hot.
5. Remove steamer from saucepan; increase heat to medium-high. Boil liquid 5 minutes, or until reduced by half. Remove from heat, and stir in parsley and remaining 1 Tbs. butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour sauce over vegetables; toss to coat.