Sticky Date Cake
Puréed dates give this cake a rich texture. We skip the traditional toffee sauce in favor of a light, citrusy glaze.
- 1 ½ cups Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup (½ stick) margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tbs. fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp. grapefruit or lemon juice
- ½ tsp. grated orange zest
1. To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray, and line bottom with parchment paper. Place dates, margarine, and baking soda in heat-proof bowl; cover with 11/4 cups boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Process date mixture in food processor 1 minute, or until mixture becomes wet paste. Add eggs and vanilla, and pulse to combine. Stir date mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
3. To make Glaze: Sift confectioners’ sugar into bowl. Whisk in orange juice, grapefruit juice, and orange zest.
4. Unmold Cake from pan, and transfer to serving plate. Spread Glaze over top of Cake and down sides.
March 2011 p.72