Stir-Fried Broccoli Florets, Stems, and Leaves
The farmers’ market is a good place to find broccoli that have long stalks with leaves still attached.
1. Remove broccoli leaves from stalk, and thinly slice those wider than 1/2 inch. Remove and trim florets to 1 to 2 inches in length and width. Cut stalks into thin slices. (You should have about 6 cups florets and sliced stalks.)
2. Peel 6 or 7 long, wide strips of zest from orange. Stack strips, and thinly slice to julienne.
3. Cut orange in half, and squeeze out juice. Combine 3 Tbs. orange juice with lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, minced ginger, and cornstarch in small bowl. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add broccoli leaves, julienned orange zest, julienned ginger, shallots, and garlic. Season with salt, if desired. Stir-fry 2 minutes. (Zest will curl.) Remove pan from heat, and transfer contents to plate.
5. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to wok, and heat over medium-high heat. Add broccoli florets and stalks, season with salt, and stir-fry 8 to 10 minutes, or until all pieces are browned. Stir in orange juice mixture. Remove pan from heat, continue stirring until sauce has thickened, then toss with leaves.