Strawberry Charlotte Verrines
Limoncello, a bright-yellow lemon liqueur from Italy, is used to make a sweet, flavorful syrup that softens the ladyfingers in this recipe. Cointreau, Grand Marnier, amaretto, rum, or any other flavored alcohol—or good old lemon juice—could be substituted
- 2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. sugar, divided
- 1 Tbs. limoncello
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 8 ladyfingers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 12 large strawberries, or 16 small strawberries, cut into bite-sized pieces or quartered
- 1 Tbs. blanched pistachios (not salted or roasted), coarsely chopped
1. Place 2 Tbs. sugar in small, heat-proof bowl. Pour 3 Tbs. boiling water over sugar, and stir until sugar has dissolved. Stir in limoncello. Cool.
May/June 2010 p.49
2. Whisk together Greek yogurt and remaining 2 tsp. sugar.
3. Dip ladyfinger pieces in limoncello syrup, and arrange ladyfingers in bottoms of glasses. Spoon 1 Tbs. yogurt into each glass over ladyfingers.
4. Gently toss strawberries in remaining limoncello syrup, and arrange over yogurt. Spoon remaining yogurt on top, and sprinkle with pistachios. Serve with small spoons.