- 6 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. flour, divided
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. baking soda
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 3 ½ Tbs. nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 11- x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Toss together strawberries, 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar, 2 Tbs. flour, and lemon juice in bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
3. Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 Tbs. sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl. Add shortening, and mix well with fork until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 1/2 cup water. Spread over strawberry mixture. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.