Strawberry Meringue Nests
Makes 12 nests
- 1 1.2-oz. pkg. freeze-dried strawberries
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
Makes 12 nests
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Grind strawberries in coffee grinder or mini food processor until powdered. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy and bubbles become very small. Whisk together sugar and cornstarch, and slowly add to egg whites with mixer still running. Add vinegar, vanilla, and salt, and increase speed to high. Beat 3 to 5 minutes, or until stiff, glossy peaks form. Fold in 4 Tbs. ground strawberries.
3. Dab 2 small dots of meringue mixture onto bottom corners of each of 2 baking sheets (this will help parchment paper stay put while forming nests). Lay 1 sheet parchment into each sheet pan, and press parchment to adhere to meringue dots. Use large ice cream scoop or 2 serving spoons to dollop 1/3-cup mounds of meringue (6 per baking sheet), leaving 2 inches between each mound. Use back of spoon to gently form indention in middle of each mound.
4. Bake 1 sheet at a time 50 to 60 minutes, or until meringues are crisp. Cool completely before serving. Store
in airtight container up to 3 days.
Learn how to cook delicious gluten-free, vegetarian recipes online. Sign up now!July/August 2010 p.49