Strawberry Salad with Gorgonzola Dressing
30 minutes or fewer
Gorgonzola dolce is a creamy blue cheese from the north of Italy. It is milder and less salty than French Roquefort. It makes a tart, creamy dressing for this salad
of tender lettuce and sliced spring berries. The slight bitterness of watercress adds a note of contrast. The optional toasted almonds
provide both crunch and sweetness.
- ¼ cup Gorgonzola dolce cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large head butter lettuce or 2 heads Bibb lettuce, rinsed, dried and separated (about 8 cups)
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and stemmed, optional
- 18 fresh large mint leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 pint basket or 2 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
To make Dressing:
1. Put cheese into food processor, and process until soft and smooth. Whisk in yogurt, lemon juice and oil. If too thick, whisk in 1 Tbs. water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To make Salad:
2. Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Put lettuce, watercress, if using, mint and berries into bowl, and season with salt. Add dressing, toss well and arrange on salad plates. Garnish with toasted almonds, if using.