Streusel-Topped Harvest Fruit Pie
Apples, pears, cranberries, and dried fruit are heaped into a prepared crust to create a bountiful holiday pie.
- 1 10-inch whole-wheat prepared piecrust (unbaked)
- 2 cups peeled and chopped apples
- 2 cups peeled and chopped pears
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup chopped dried figs
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3 Tbs. packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 Tbs. thawed apple juice concentrate
- 3 Tbs. coarsely chopped walnuts
1. To make Pie: Preheat oven to 375°F. Prick prepared crust with fork; bake 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
2. Toss together apples, pears, cranberries, brown sugar, raisins, currants, figs, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, and cardamom in large bowl.
3. To make Streusel: Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in bowl. Stir in oil, apple juice concentrate, and walnuts until mixture is crumbly.
4. Heap fruit mixture in center of crust. Gently pat Streusel over mounded sides and top. Tent Pie with foil, and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 30 minutes more, or until fruit is bubbly and tender. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
November 2011 p.57