Rather than frying this cauliflower dish, Madhu Gadia, author of The Indian
Vegan Kitchen, steams and bakes it for a party entrée that's elegant and healthful.
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ small jalepeño chile, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 3 Tbs. canola or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Tbs. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ½ tsp. amchoor or 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- 1 large potato, peeled, boiled, and grated
- 1 medium head cauliflower (2 lb.)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Blend onion, tomato sauce, jalepeño, ginger, garlic, garlic, and cumin in blender until paste forms. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion paste, and cook 3 minutes, or until mixture comes together in dense mass. Stir in coriander, turmeric, cayenne, amchoor, and garam masala; cook 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup water and grated potato.
2. Steam whole cauliflower head 5 to 7 minutes. Cool. Press onion mixture all over cauliflower. Set in baking dish.
3. Toss sliced potatoes with remaining 1 Tbs. oil on baking sheet. Transfer both pans to oven, and bake 25 minutes, turning potatoes once. Serve cauliflower with sliced potatoes.
October 2010 p.50