Summer Corn and Quinoa Salad with Pumpkin Seeds and Lime
30 minutes or fewer
gets a bright burst of flavor from fresh lime. Be sure to rinse the quinoa
thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer to remove the bitter outer coating.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed 3 times in cold water, and drained well
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ large red onion, finely diced (½ cup)
- 1 Tbs. Champagne vinegar or rice vinegar
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- ¼ tsp. cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup diced jicama (2 oz.)
- 2½ Tbs. fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1½ tsp. lime zest
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in small pot; add quinoa and salt. Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer over low heat 15 minutes, or until tender.
2. Fill separate saucepan with water, bring to a boil, and drop in diced onion for 30 seconds. Drain onion, then toss with vinegar in small bowl.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat; add corn, cumin, and cayenne; sauté 3 minutes.
4. Transfer corn to large bowl, and add quinoa, remaining 2 Tbs. oil, onion, jicama, lime juice, and zest. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Just before serving, add pumpkin seeds, parsley, and an extra drizzle of lime juice, if desired.
June 2014 p.54